The US Department of Transportation released $5 million in emergency funds to rebuild and repair roads and bridges destroyed or damaged in Vermont by Tropical Storm Irene, Vermont’s congressional delegation announced today. U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood on Tuesday evening notified U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), a member of the Senate Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee. Sanders had been in discussion with LaHood to explain the magnitude of the destruction in Vermont and to convey the state’s need for emergency help. Sanders said, ‘I want to thank Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood for his quick response to providing emergency help to Vermont in our time of need. Secretary LaHood has a strong understanding of the magnitude of the disaster that has struck Vermont and the need for immediate federal help and I appreciate that very much. While no one can yet estimate the full extent of the damage and destruction that Vermont has suffered, it is likely that the long-term cost of rebuilding our roads, bridges, rail lines, businesses, homes and public buildings will be in the hundreds of millions of dollars. For Vermont’s rebuilding effort to be successful, there is no question but that there will have to be strong cooperation between the federal government and the state. Sen. Leahy, Rep. Welch and I will be working as hard as we can to make that happen.’ Leahy said, ‘Never in my life have I witnessed this much destruction in our state, and it breaks my heart to see it. I am grateful to Secretary LaHood and the Department of Transportation for their prompt response to this disaster. The people of Vermont are resilient, but even the strongest among us can use a helping hand. This emergency aid will help to start rebuilding the many roads and bridges all over Vermont that were destroyed in the flooding. As Vermonters move forward, looking to each other for support, I will continue to do everything in my power, along with Senator Sanders and Congressman Welch, to secure aid for the state and to see that all levels of government come together to effectively bolster the efforts of neighbors and friends as we all work to come to terms with this tragedy.’ Welch said, ‘This is welcome news to Vermont. The damage to public infrastructure is immense and this will help us begin to rebuild. We have more work to do. Traveling around the state, I am meeting small business owners who have lost their livelihoods, employees who have lost their jobs, farmers who have had their crops washed away, and individuals whose homes are ruined. We have a long recovery ahead of us, and more assistance will be vital. Vermont has always responded to times of great hardship by working together. We will do so again. I thank Secretary LaHood for the quick action and look forward to working with Sens. Leahy and Sanders as well as Gov. Shumlin to make sure the necessary assistance gets to Vermont quickly.’ The emergency funds help pay for the repair and reconstruction of federal highways and bridges that have suffered serious damage as a result of the storm. The funds are for immediate responses to repair storm damage and will not reduce the amount Vermont may ultimately receive if, as expected, President Barack Obama declares a federal disaster in the state. BURLINGTON, Vt., Aug. 31 ‘
Siems raced to the front and Olson raced too high in turn four and dropped his right rear off the track which caused him to drop way back in the field. Olson charged back through the pack to earn a top five, crossing under the checkers one position behind Siems. With the finish, Olson and Siems tied in points earned but Olson held the tie breaker in feature wins earning him the track championship. The IMCA Sunoco Late Models decided their season championships a week ago but ran a draw/redraw show on Saturday. Sean Johnson ended the season on a high note by scoring his third consecutive feature win. Wroten then charged back to the front as a young lady on a mission. When the checkers flew it was Holtz taking the win with Schmitt in second, Kevin Rose was in third and Wroten raced all the way back to fourth. The finish ended the season point standings in a tie with Schmitt and Wroten and the tie breaker was feature wins with Wroten holding the advantage. By Jerry Mackey The same scenario played out in the Karl Kustoms Northern SportMods. Tony Olson came into the night with a one point advantage in the season standings ahead of Kip Siems. Troy Bauer took the lead early and raced out front the entire main event as the battle for the track championship unfolded behind him. The IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars came into the night with Leah Wroten holding a two-point advantage over Tom Schmitt. Wroten needed to finish no more than two positions behind Schmitt to earn the season championship. With Phil Holtz racing out front and both Schmitt and Wroten headed to the front, Wroten was involved in a skirmish that sent her to the back of the 20-car field. INDEPENDENCE, Iowa (Aug. 8) – Saturday saw the 2020 IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing season come to an end with the running of season championship races at Independence Motor Speedway and several division titles were decided in dramatic fashion. Wroten stated in victory lane, “Winning a track championship was not even on our radar this year, as a rookie in the IMCA Stock Car class all I wanted to do was get seat time and finish races.” Hibdon took the lead early and appeared to have the race in the bag until his mentor chased him down and made a late-race charge to the win. Aikey scored his first Indee IMCA Modified track title as well as winning the season championship main event. The IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks saw a first-time winner make his way to victory lane. Marcus Wayne scored his first win at his hometown track. Kaden Reynolds had built a comfortable lead in season points and with a fifth place finish the 18 year old from Cedar Rapids earned the track crown. Jeff Aikey put an exclamation point on a great season in the IMCA Modifieds Saturday night. Aikey started the 20-lap season championship in the sixth row, with his teammate Kollin Hibdon in the second row. All 2020 IMCA point standings become official on Oct. 26.
FOLLOWING unprecedented rainfall during the Christmas season, which resulted in the organisers of the STAG Nations Cup knock-out football championships having to halt proceedings, competition is set to restart on Sunday with the final two round-of-16 matches.Teams from five associations (Berbice, East Demerara, Georgetown, East Bank and West Demerara), affiliated to the Guyana Football Federation (GFF), have been battling one another from December 14 when action got underway for a place in the final with a top prize of $2M at stake.Second place attracts $1M while third place will get $500 000 and fourth, $300 000.On Sunday evening, Grove Hi Tech will play New Amsterdam United in the feature match at 20:00hrs with Den Amstel matching skills with Ann’s Grove in the curtain-raiser, the respective winners booking the final two quarter-final spots.Already through to the quarters are Western Tigers who have earned a date with Pouderoyen, while Santos will tangle with Uitvlugt Warriors. Police will battle the winner of the Grove Hi Tech/New Amsterdam United clash and Riddim Squad will oppose the winner of the Ann’s Grove/Den Amstel match-up.Teams walking the plank are Mahaicony Thunderhawks, Flamingo, Golden Stars, Young Achievers, Northern Rangers, Kuru Kururu Warriors, Cougars, Rosignol United, Herstelling Raiders and Mahaica Determinators.STAG Nations Cup 2016/17Final round-of-16 matches – Sunday January 15, 2016Mt Teams Time Venue11. Ann’s Grove vs Den Amstel 18:00hrs Grove Community Centre Gr.12. Grove Hi Tech vs NA United 20:00hrs “Quarter Finals – Sunday January 22, 201613. Santos vs Uitvlugt Warriors 18:00hrs Leonora14. Western Tigers vs Pouderoyen 20:00hrs “Quarter Finals – Wednesday January 25, 201615. Riddim Squad vs Winner of 11 19:00hrs GDF16. Police vs Winner of 12 21:00hrs “Semi Finals – Sunday January 29, 2016 GDFThird Place – Sunday February 5, 2016 TBDFinal Sunday February 5, 2016 TBD
Â Â Manchester City striker Kelechi Iheanacho, 20, who completed medical at Leicester City yesterday is facing problems in the US after allegations were made against him that he may have misled a court in Pennsylvania.With the medical concluded, it now appears that Iheanachoâ€™s switch to Leicester City is almost a done deal with just some paperwork left to complete the transfer believed to be worth around Â£25 million.Iheanacho was linked with a move to West Ham and other Premier League clubs before Leicester, the 2016 English champions who parade Nigerians Ahmed Musa and Wilfred Ndidi, stepped in.But the transfer to Leicester could be marred following the legal battles with his previous representatives, American-based First Eleven Management, after pulling out of a contract with them two years ago to sign with Stellar, who look after Real Madridâ€™s Gareth Bale.Iheanacho filed pleadings that denied he knew or spent time with Henry Galeano, who separately claims he is his former agent.He was alleged to have claimed he believed Galeano was an alias used by First Eleven Management co-owner Robert Zanicky.New Yorker Galeano was the companyâ€™s registered FIFA-licensed agent.UKâ€™sÂ SunSportÂ and the American court have been handed a series of photos and documents that will require an explanation from the Nigerian international.The crucial legal question for Iheanacho will be whether he did more than merely meet Galeano or happened to be with him on occasions. It certainly seems clear they at least met.Some of the pictures Galeano has filed before the court showed Iheanacho by his side as he signed a new Manchester City contract shortly after his 18th birthday in October 2014.The legal position is further complicated because Galeano â€” in a signed and sworn affidavit submitted to the court â€” claims he spent â€œhundreds of hoursâ€ with the player. Under Pennsylvania Law, if it is found Iheanacho knowingly tried to mislead the court, he could be charged with unsworn falsification â€” which, if found guilty, carries a penalty of up to two years in prison.And with an impending Â£25million move to Leicester on the cards,Â his new club will want assurances that his case in the US is being properly handled and will not become a tickingÂ time-bomb.Â Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram