Melbourne: Former skipper Ricky Ponting believes defending champion Australia’s ability to bowl and play spin will define their success in the upcoming World Cup beginning May 30. “The thing that will define Australia’s success in the World Cup is, one, how well they bowl spin and, two, how well they play it,” Ponting was quoted as saying by the ‘Sydney Morning Herald’.”That’s been their Achilles’ heel the last 12 or 18 months. With [Adam] Zampa bowling well now, Nathan Lyon’s obviously in the squad and Glenn Maxwell’s done a good job with the ball whenever he’s played.”Ponting said there were concerns about the middle-order’s ability to play spin a year ago but the return of David Warner and Steve Smith has strengthened the team.”And I think some of our middle order are probably slightly better players of spin now than they were 12 or 18 months ago,” said the 44-year-old, who won Australia the 1999 World Cup as a player, before guiding the team to successive titles in the next two editions as a captain. For all the Latest Sports News News, ICC World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. “With Warner there now and Steve Smith coming back in, the middle order looks a lot better against spin bowling than it probably was.”Warner and Smith had served a 12-month ban for their respective roles in the ball-tampering scandal that rocked Australian cricket in March last year.They returned to competitive cricket at the Indian Premier League with Warner amassing 692 runs in 12 matches and Smith scoring 319 runs in 12 matches and leading Rajasthan Royals to three wins in five matches.”They’re both playing really well. Steve Smith still thinks he’s not probably 100 per cent fit just yet – but he’s not far away. And Warner’s been the dominant batsman in the IPL,” Ponting said.There are concerns that Smith and Warner will be targeted by the crowd during the World Cup with English cricketer Moeen Ali urging the spectators to treat them with respect.”Those two coming in, obviously they’re class players – they’ll have their fair share of issues to deal with from the crowds and stuff when they get over there,” he said.”But they’re big boys. They’ve been there and seen it all before. I’m sure they’ll be fine.” Australia will begin their campaign against Afghanistan on June 1 at Bristol.
“It is not fun to obviously put a position player in that situation,’’ Boone said. “For Ford and some of the guys it is fun, but sitting in my chair, you worry about hurting someone, and sitting there getting kicked in the mouth is no fun. I am sure there is something to that question.’’ There is no mercy rule in MLB, but New York’s Aaron Boone thinks one being implemented might be a good thing.The Yankees manager shared his thoughts on the idea Friday when addressing the 19-5 loss his team suffered at the hands of the Indians on Thursday. “It’s not fun to have to put in a position player”Aaron Boone discusses a mercy rule and how it could prevent injuries/bad situations during blowouts pic.twitter.com/EB6woa1GbN— Yankees Videos (@snyyankees) August 16, 2019“I think there would be a benefit to that,’’ Boone said. “You would probably eliminate a lot of the unwritten rules, people running or swinging. It would be like, if you get to this point after seven innings or whatever, there might be something to that and worth exploring.’’Some of Boone’s frustration stems from the fact he had to use DH Mike Ford on the mound for two innings against Cleveland. He’d rather avoid position players pitching. Related News Luke Voit injury update: Yankees first baseman (hernia) shares target return window New York is comfortably leading the AL East with an 82-42 record. It has a 10 1/2 game lead on the second-place Rays. The Yankees have the best record in baseball (alongside the 82-42 Dodgers) and likely have plenty of meaningful baseball ahead. They’ll have to settle with no mercy rule for at least the rest of 2019 though. Fernando Tatis Jr. injury update: Padres’ star rookie (back) likely done for season, manager says
Facebook49Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Washington Governor Jay InsleeOn Friday, Gov. Jay Inslee announced a plan to allow current construction projects to be completed. Today, the governor clarified the initial guidance memo and issued a guide to frequently asked questions about construction activities.The guidance is an addendum to his “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” proclamation, the construction requirements that apply to all previously and newly authorized construction activities in Washington as long as Gubernatorial Proclamation 20-25, or any extension, is in effect.Authorized construction now includes:Construction previously authorized under Proclamation 20-25 and Gov. Inslee’s March 25, 2020, memo on construction.Construction not previously authorized under Proclamation 20-25 and the March 25, 2020, memo that was in existence on March 23, 2020. For purposes of this memo, in existence means construction activity that is a) needed to fulfill an obligation under a contract effective prior to March 23, 2020, or b) authorized by a government-issued permit obtained prior to March 23, 2020.Read the full guidance here.