The US Department of Transportation released $5 million in emergency funds to rebuild and repair roads and bridges destroyed or damaged in Vermont by Tropical Storm Irene, Vermont’s congressional delegation announced today. U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood on Tuesday evening notified U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), a member of the Senate Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee. Sanders had been in discussion with LaHood to explain the magnitude of the destruction in Vermont and to convey the state’s need for emergency help. Sanders said, ‘I want to thank Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood for his quick response to providing emergency help to Vermont in our time of need. Secretary LaHood has a strong understanding of the magnitude of the disaster that has struck Vermont and the need for immediate federal help and I appreciate that very much. While no one can yet estimate the full extent of the damage and destruction that Vermont has suffered, it is likely that the long-term cost of rebuilding our roads, bridges, rail lines, businesses, homes and public buildings will be in the hundreds of millions of dollars. For Vermont’s rebuilding effort to be successful, there is no question but that there will have to be strong cooperation between the federal government and the state. Sen. Leahy, Rep. Welch and I will be working as hard as we can to make that happen.’ Leahy said, ‘Never in my life have I witnessed this much destruction in our state, and it breaks my heart to see it. I am grateful to Secretary LaHood and the Department of Transportation for their prompt response to this disaster. The people of Vermont are resilient, but even the strongest among us can use a helping hand. This emergency aid will help to start rebuilding the many roads and bridges all over Vermont that were destroyed in the flooding. As Vermonters move forward, looking to each other for support, I will continue to do everything in my power, along with Senator Sanders and Congressman Welch, to secure aid for the state and to see that all levels of government come together to effectively bolster the efforts of neighbors and friends as we all work to come to terms with this tragedy.’ Welch said, ‘This is welcome news to Vermont. The damage to public infrastructure is immense and this will help us begin to rebuild. We have more work to do. Traveling around the state, I am meeting small business owners who have lost their livelihoods, employees who have lost their jobs, farmers who have had their crops washed away, and individuals whose homes are ruined. We have a long recovery ahead of us, and more assistance will be vital. Vermont has always responded to times of great hardship by working together. We will do so again. I thank Secretary LaHood for the quick action and look forward to working with Sens. Leahy and Sanders as well as Gov. Shumlin to make sure the necessary assistance gets to Vermont quickly.’ The emergency funds help pay for the repair and reconstruction of federal highways and bridges that have suffered serious damage as a result of the storm. The funds are for immediate responses to repair storm damage and will not reduce the amount Vermont may ultimately receive if, as expected, President Barack Obama declares a federal disaster in the state. BURLINGTON, Vt., Aug. 31 ‘
Oil production from Husky Energy’s SeaRose FPSO remains suspended almost two months after some 250.000 liters of oil spilled from the oil field in the Atlantic Ocean, offshore Canada, in what was Canada’s worst ever oil spill.SeaRose FPSO; Photo by: Berardo62; Source: Wikimedia – under the CC BY-SA 2.0 licenseAccording to Husky’s investigation findings in December, the oil spill – for which Husky said it was sorry – happened when a flowline connector failed near the South White Rose Extension drill center, approximately 350 km east of St. John’s.In an update on Monday, January 7, Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board said: “Shutdown maintenance activities are ongoing at the SeaRose FPSO, and production operations remain suspended. Vessel, satellite and ROV inspections at the South White Rose Extension are continuing.”C-NLOPB said its focus was on reviewing Husky’s plan for plugging of the flowline and recovery of the failed flowline connector to ensure the work can be carried out in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.“Husky has submitted a plan to deal with the separated subsea flowline and will meet with C-NLOPB staff this week to review. The plan must be approved by the C-NLOPB and partner agencies before being implemented. The C-NLOPB continues its investigation into the mid-November incident,” C-NLOPB said.Offshore Energy Today Staff
Maritime Developments has secured a flexible installation project offshore Ghana.The work scope covers an installation of a flowline using MDL third-generation reel drive system, operated by the MDL offshore service team.The equipment was loaded out in components from MDL’s Peterhead, Scotland facility for road transportation to Cadiz, Spain to meet the client’s installation vessel. The vessel will then travel to Takoradi, Ghana to continue mobilising other aspects of the project.MDL supported the client by providing structural and draughting design to facilitate the vessel integration of the MDL reel drive system and MDL underbender structure. MDL supported the project team with deck planning, structural design, class approval interface and remote mobilisation support.Dave Gardiner, MDL BD & commercial manager, said: “We are extremely pleased to have secured this project and are looking forward to bringing the market’s leading reel drive system into West Africa, where we hope to see it operational over and above the current work scope.“We are also glad that we were able to demonstrate further project efficiencies to the client through our consultancy and engineering services. As the equipment provider we are best placed to advise the project teams on the most optimum deck setup to minimise lost time pre-mission, in port and at sea.”The project is expected to conclude in March 2019.