By Dialogo May 20, 2011 Chile and Argentina have agreed to move forward on integrating their long shared border, an endeavor that includes connectivity and physical integration, according to the agreement reached at the conclusion of an initial meeting of regional authorities in Santiago, headed by the two countries’ foreign ministers. The meeting brought together fourteen Argentine and thirteen Chilean governors responsible for provinces and regions located on both sides of the long shared border, which stretches for more than four thousand kilometers. “Significant progress has been achieved at this meeting in the areas of connectivity, supply chains, border integration, transportation, and others,” Chilean Foreign Minister Alfredo Moreno explained, following the signing of a fourteen-point declaration with which the meeting concluded. “Integration is the fruit of democracy. Without democracy, there is no integration; without democracy, there is division, because with democracy comes the voice of the people, adding that what we are doing today is fulfilling their mandate,” Argentine Foreign Minister Héctor Timerman said for his part. The Argentine and Chilean officials also met with Chilean President Sebastián Piñera in the presidential palace of La Moneda, where the talks focused primarily on energy integration. “We spoke with President Piñera about taking major steps forward in energy integration, which is among the fourteen points signed in this declaration,” indicated Argentine Planning Minister Julio de Vido, who also participated in the session. The meeting was part of the commitment to intensify the bilateral relationship between the two countries that took shape in the Treaty of Maipú signed in 2009 by Argentine President Cristina Fernández and former Chilean president Michelle Bachelet.
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
When Katherine Reed heard Melbourne’s virus-inflicted lockdown would be tightened and extend for six more weeks, she began to cry. The 32-year-old lives alone and has been working at home since March, when the southern hemisphere summer turned to autumn. Like millions of others living in Australia’s second city she now faces at least another six weeks of winter isolation. On Monday, as curfews loomed and authorities ordered non-essential businesses to close, book store manager Bill Morton witnessed his normally “vibrant, lovely” patch of the city transform into a “ghost town”. Melbourne’s tram bells seem to ring out louder and longer, a reminder that the streets are nearly deserted of the city’s almost five million residents. “People are pretty demoralized,” Morton told AFP. “Pretty well everything is closed around here. So it’s a very strange, quite eerie atmosphere.” During the day, the few masked walkers out for an hour-long window for exercise cautiously maneuvered around each other, conscious of social distancing rules. The feted theatres, live music venues and buzzing restaurants of Australia’s premier cultural hub have fallen silent, with their staff and owners facing more months of uncertainty. From Wednesday evening offices and most businesses will be closed, and a complex set of rules will dictate when people can leave home and where they can go. Bar owner Andrew Park has stayed afloat so far during the pandemic by scaling back to cocktail deliveries, but he is now more worried than ever. “Foot traffic will be completely gone,” he told AFP, predicting that a curfew after 8pm will see customers cocoon, even if food and drink purchases are still allowed in the daytime. “My fear is people will just altogether stop ordering from local, small businesses.” Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews warned it could take the state, which includes Melbourne, “years to recover”. Maggie May, who owns a gift shop with her husband, had adapted during an earlier lockdown. She sold items online for the first time, a challenging but ultimately positive learning experience. “You’re constantly trying to pep yourself up (because) if you sink into an anxiety hole then nothing is going to get done and at the end of the day you’re just going to get more anxious,” she told AFP. The country’s hardest-hit state has recorded almost 12,000 of the roughly 18,000 cases in Australia and more than half of the 221 fatalities from COVID-19. Morton said the book store had seen revenue drop to around 25 percent of pre-pandemic levels, leaving the 50-year-old business heavily reliant on government support schemes and rent deferrals. “We can hang in for the time being but operating at the reduced revenue that we are, we can’t do it indefinitely,” he said. “I think there’s a lot of concern for a lot of the businesses around here, whether they’ll be able to see it through,” adding that many had already closed down permanently. “This virus, this pandemic is taking a heavy toll”, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Monday, acknowledging that many in Victoria will have “reached breaking point”. He announced disaster payments for anyone forced to isolate for 14 days, as the authorities try to urge the infected to stay at home after many were caught flouting the rules. The best people in Melbourne can now hope for is that case numbers are brought under control and, in six weeks’ time, they can cautiously celebrate a reopening in spring. Topics : “I understand the increased lockdown,” she said, lamenting “cruel and misguided” rules that allow partners, but not friends to visit. From the start of this world-enveloping pandemic, experts had warned there would be bad times and good, setbacks and advances in bringing the virus to heel. But that has not made the new stop-start existence any less strange or any less difficult to bear. Australia had appeared to have the virus in hand, but a few clusters quickly turned into hundreds of cases a day, forcing the country’s most restrictive lockdown yet.
On its official website FIFA announced the information regarding the match Bosnia and Herzegovina vs Argentina. Each player was tracked separately and it was calculated how difficult they ran, where they moved etc.What is interesting is that the Dragons, on average, ran more than Argentineans! Last night on the match fantastic Muhamed Besic ran the most, even 12,271 feet!From all the players who have spent the entire game on the field, not counting on Begovic, Edin Dzeko ran the least, 10,154 meters.In addition, according to the statistics, Bosnia-Herzegovina had 10 attempts on target and Argentina had only 5. Moreover, Bosnian players had 15 shots, in comparison with Argentinean players who had 11.Bosnia-Herzegovina have had a higher proportion of their shots from outside the box (88%) than any other team on the World Cup 2014.The young football player of Bosnia and Herzegovina Muhamed Besic impressed many media, but also fascinated the world of football. A 21 year old Besic thrilled the fans so that they started to write statuses like “Water covers 71 percent of Earth’s surface, and the rest covers Muhamed Besic”. (Source: Radiosarajevo/photo Sportcentar)
SpaceX launched a Falcon 9 rocket from the historic Launch Pad 39A at 3:30 PM Wednesday afternoon from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.The 60 Starlink satellites have successfully landed and will “deliver high speed broadband internet to locations where access has been unreliable, expensive, or completely unavailable,” according to SpaceX.